Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Future

I think that I may have mentioned in my last entry how excited I am to be back to writing.  It's a terrifying feeling when the well seems to run dry, even though I know, deep down, that the feeling won't last forever.  Just about every book on the craft of writing that I have ever read says that we should just push through the failing muse, even if what we ultimately write is crap.  I have a hard time with that one, and I accept that this may be a weakness of mine.
Part of my excitement is that I can see an end in sight for H&T.  Well, sort of, anyway.  As time passes, I realize more and more and more just how much work H&T will need in the end.  Admittedly, and while this in no way affects the seriousness with which I regard H&T, this book was an experiment or sorts.  I wanted to try a collaboration with TheArtist and I wanted to see if doing a serial would keep me rolling consistently on a single project.  In short, the experiment worked.  TheArtist and I work well together and TheArtist also has created an interesting body of work in the process.  Also, other than my obvious dips in productivity, writing for H&T has kept me on a bit of a schedule.
The other part of my excitement is what will happen to H&T once it is complete.  Right now, H&T is in its roughest stages.  Conception happened right here on the blog.  This recent time away, as much as I wanted to be writing, has helped me recognize some of H&T's weaknesses and where I need to strengthen the story.  I feel bad in a way, because the few of you who keep up with H&T aren't really getting the story at its best.
Of course, as I have droned on, H&T will receive an enormous, tremendous, edit.  TheArtist intends to remaster Honor's image...for the cover.  We will self publish H&T in e-book format.  That's the plan anyway.
******
Click on one of three TheArtist above and it will take you to one of three galleries.  Check out TheArtist's new pics and videos.

3 comments:

  1. I spent nearly three years feeling abandoned by my muse, and it's pretty scary. Depressing, too. I tried pushing through that feeling, but I wonder if the only thing that really helps is time.

    Serials are fun to write, but I agree that it can leave the writer wondering if she shortchanged her early readers. When I created Diana's Diary in 2006, I wrote a new post each night and every day was a new adventure for me, my characters and my readers. My late-night writings always needed massive edits later, which is why I don't work that way any more. Steal Tomorrow was written in full and edited several times before I began posting it, and I still see stuff I don't like.

    I love TheArtist's work, btw! I've been playing with my graphics tablet a lot lately but the learning curve is huge. I so envy your Artist for having been doing this kind of thing long enough to turn out professional-quality work. Maybe someday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann.
    Scary? You said it! And on so many levels. As someone who tries not to live with regret, I have been able to see the real joy in this process. Thanks so much for stopping by and reading.
    TheArtist is, in a word, fantastic. If only TheArtist realized just how much so! Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My problem is having too many wild and contradictory ideas and trying to herd them all into something that might make sense to other people. That's why I love the webserial format: it lets me figure things out on the fly.

    ReplyDelete