Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ramses of the Midlings

Written for 3ww - grace, jitter, thin

Meager, my wife, threatened to leave me if I went back to the Midling compound, so I suppose that when this is all over, she will be gone. I don't blame her, but I don't care.  I'm sure that to her, my return to Midling Territory looks like a concession, a second fall from grace, the first being when I left Midling Territory, my belongings packed onto my back.  For me, this is a return to grace, grace being my people. Meager thinks I should have fought Airun, maybe removed him by force.  Why wouldn't she think that way?  I am a warrior and that is all she has ever known me to do well.
Meager has lived up to her name.  She's been as cold and treacherous as the winters and she gives her affections in thin stingy bits.  Although fickle in her feelings about me, she has remained very decided as regards the mistakes she believes I have made.  "You should have taken leadership, even by force, even to death if need be," she'd insist each time she remembered that the only reason our little band of nine dissenters  was struggling alone in the wilderness was because I couldn't reason out why Airun was moving toward the Believer cause.  That was my excuse.  As for the rest of them, they were just stupid enough to follow me.  "Men like you don't walk away. Men like you take what they want."  What she described didn't sound so much like a man to me, as it sounded like an animal.  So, I was thinking that maybe Meager never really knew what kind of man I was.  Maybe I never knew her either.
She hoped to use her words to fire up my anger, to convince me to make the trek back to Midling Territory and take what never should have been mine.  Truth be told, whatever anger I possessed about Airun's intention to lead our people into the struggle on the side of the Believers, lost its fire so early in our exile that I hardly remember it.  I wanted to return to my people almost as soon as I'd left.  I didn't need a harsh hungry winter to convince me of that. I was most hungry for my people, that familiar section of forest.  It's just that I didn't really have a way of returning without looking more foolish than I must have when I left.  When I heard of Airun's disappearance and probable death during a supply run, a run that I would have led had I been there, I blamed myself.  I practically saw the door of return slam closed.
Then Airun's wife Evera arrived at my door, small as a sprite and jittery as a doe with hopes and ideas and forgiveness greater than us all. She has made it easy for me to go back to my people, to do what I do best.  So I will.
We will take back Airun, my cousin, my crib mate, true leader of the Midlings, from those Scientist bastards.  I will take my place next to him as his advisor and captain of our troops.  I will redeem myself to myself, if no one else.
There, I think that's everything.  Like before, all I wish to carry with me fits neatly into my backpack.  I have few belongings, the most weighty and valuable of which being my pride.  The rest, including Meager, I don't need.
Meager is the one who named us the Outliers, like it's a designation of honor.  I've never admitted this to her, but I never took to that name very well.
I was born a Midling and a Midling I shall remain.

5 comments:

  1. Nice, K. I like the wife's name working well both as name and a description. That part made me smile. It rings so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, I love the descriptive names of the different ones in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheialgh Lee said;Great story. Meager does sound awful no wonder he wants to leave her behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice side-story and character description. As you already know, I love tales that supplement the main novel. :-)

    I hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by everyone. laz and Sheialgh, yes, Meager is something else. Wonderful to see you here Ann. All is well.

    ReplyDelete