Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Spread Thin and Liking It

There are many projects on the burner and lots of ideas whirling around in my head.  This, after a failed, or rather half-successful attempt at NaNoWriMo and a period of mullification (like my new word) and scary unproductive hiatus.
I am working on H&T, and churning out the chapters in a timely manner.  I recently had one of my closest critics tell me, "Yeah, I like what you're doing with H&T but it isn't your highest caliber work."  That got me thinking and I sort of had to agree because well, I sort of already knew this to be true.  But in all fairness, none of H&T is pre-written stuff.  In the midst of working full time and home and life and other writing projects and I write and edit the average chapter in less than a week.  While doing so, I keep future arcs ever present in my head so that the story runs smoothly.  Then The Artist spends another week or more churning out the art.  So this is a totally FUN on the fly project.  My plan is that once H&T is completed online, I will compile, re-edit and fill in missing back story and add filler scenes to round out the story.  Then I plan to publish, maybe with Smashwords as a completed work.  I do not say this all to say that I am blog publishing my worst or laziest work with H&T.  By no means.  But I do think that the self imposed limitations make it, well, what it is, something quick, and fun, and exciting for me and The Artist and hopefully the readers.
My work on my current novel in progress is going through fits and starts but it is coming along quite nicely.  I am also doing quite a bit of reading via iPod.  Can't help it, time is short.  Right now I'm into Heinlein and listening to The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.  Very interesting and very forward thinking considering it was written in the 60s.  Computers, race relations, religion...  Recently finished Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury.  Phenomenal and also amazingly forward thinking.  While written in the 40s I was blown away as regards Bradbury's intuitiveness as regards computer technology and programming, modern (as in now, not then) technology such as flat screen televisions and programmable computers.
There are also a couple of short fiction pieces in the works on the side...This is exhaustive but I like it that way.  I like always having something in the works.  I like the free overlapping flow of ideas.  What a fountain after such a drought.

1 comment:

  1. Working on the fly is always problematic like that. I once did a web project with nightly installments and it was fun, intense, exhausting, and ultimately required a lot of editing.

    If you're having fun, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete