Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Bit Behind

Chapter 10 was supposed to be posted on Friday, but obviously this didn't happen.  I was feeling a bit of guilt about this, but not so much today.  The beauty of the blogging platform is that I get to be human among other human beings.  For me, today, this means that the rest of my life spilled over into my writing life and the two didn't mix well this week.  I have made a couple of posts at 6 Sentences this past week, however.  Funny thing is that although I do consider this to be serious writing for me, the 6 sentence structure helps me to stay bare, true and natural to my form.  It really is a superb format.

Anywho, I have made an executive decision that I believe The Artist will thoroughly appreciate.  Once Chapter 10 is posted, within the next day or so, I will not make another chapter post until the month of December.  The reason behind this is that once I am finished editing and posting Chapter 10, I will begin serious outlining of my book project for Nanowrimo.  This will be my first Nanowrimo and I want to be totally serious about it.

My biggest concern about Nanowrimo is being able to keep up with the word count.  50,000 words in a month is no easy feat.  That comes out to about 1600-1700 words a day.  With a great idea, driven plot, and a little planning I believe it is a total possibility.  That said, if you are like me and you work 8-10 hours a day, have a family, and need to eat, sleep, bathe and breath, this can be daunting.  So, I have been on the hunt for tools that might make this easier for me.  I have found several tools and I will share them here with you guys.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I have the new Ipod Touch.  Can't believe I never got one earlier.  These are some applications that you can download if you have an Ipod Touch, Iphone, or an Ipad.
1.  WriMoDemon - helps you keep track of your word count.
2.  Write Chain - also helps you keep track of your daily word count and gives you rewards for not missing any days with our writing.
3.  My Writing Nook - is my absolute favorite.  It acts as a word processor and you can actually write on the pad or pod or phone and keep the documents there.  It also allows you to email the documents for printing at a later date.  It has spell check and it gives you count of your words as you write.
4.  SimpleMindX - This software lets you create mind maps for outlining and brainstorming ideas for stories.

For your computer:
1.  Page Four - Software that helps you organize characters, locations, and plot points for a novel.
2.  Storybook - also helps you organize your novel.
3.  XMind - allows you to create detailed mind maps.

Unless something has changed, all of the above software, with the exception of My Writing Nook is free.  My Writing Nook is only $1.99.  A great deal.

During the month of November, I'll be checking in periodically and posting progress and insights along the road toward 50,000 words.  Those of you who intend to participate, I do hope that you drop by from time to time with your ideas and thoughts.  Until the posting of Chapter 10...

No comments:

Post a Comment