Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

750 Words

Ever heard of the morning pages?  This was a concept honed by Julia Cameron, author of The Writer's Way.  The idea is to write three pages or 750 words each morning as soon as you wake up.  But, we're not talking about 750 words of perfectly edited prose on your computer.  This is supposed to be longhand stream of conscious writing that you bang out without stopping or worrying about punctuation or form.
Personally, I prefer to write on a computer however, I find that when I get into a stump, long hand forces me to think differently and can sometimes break the dam wide open.
I recently came upon a gem of a site, 750words.com in which you can do your 750 words each morning via your trusty keyboard, if you prefer the computer as I do, and you even get little bonuses for your achievements.  Check it out.  When you do, come on back and tell me what you think.

Oh, and if you have a chance check out my self-published novel An Unproductive Woman at Smashwords.  You can download 15% of the book for free to sample.  If you like what you've read, please support the cause and purchase the download for any of your e-reader devices.

1 comment:

  1. Hah, I tried the morning writing thing once. It, um... didn't work out too well. Waking up early and writing while half-asleep? Not gonna work. Staying up 'till the sun rises and writing while half-asleep? Easy. Apparently my internal clock is holding my creativity ransom.

    That 750words site is interesting, though. I've never come across it before.

    ReplyDelete