Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

NaNoWriMo

I signed up with NaNoWriMo a few days ago, and even though it doesn't kick of until November, I am stoked.
I have started to think of ideas for the novel.  Just ideas, because nothing can actually be written until November 1st.  However, this doesn't mean that you can't start researching, note taking, and defining characters.  Check out the site for the details.
You can also sign up with groups from your area who are also doing NaNoWriMo.  Apparently, many of them have meetings to keep each other enthused and moving forward.
The gist?  Between November 1 and November 30 you write 175 page (50,000 word) novel.  The point?  To make you move, without looking back, full tilt, until you complete the task.  The winner?  Anyone and everyone who can complete their novel.  Sorry.  No big cash prizes.
But I am going to do it, and I hope that some of you all try it too, if you haven't done it in the past.  I think it's going to be an exhilarating experience.  Writing without barriers, without editing, without doubts, WITHOUT STOPPING!
So, anyone out there interested in starting our own group?  Our own NaNoWriMo group.  I can set up a page or another blog for us to sort of hang out and share ideas and encouragement during the process.  Not sure how we will make it work, but if anyone has ideas, throw them out there!  In other words, leave a comment below.

4 comments:

  1. I just signed up at NaNoWriMo, though 50,000 in 30 days is probably too much for me. Given the fact that I have a job to hold on to, which devours a major chunk of my 5 days of a week. I guess something within the limit of 30,000 is what I would be able to manage.

    Because even for the first draft, everything you write has to make sense. A lot of time is spent trying to sure that the flow of the novel being written does not suffer a major hiccup, at least for the first draft any way. Because the first draft works as a catalyst through which the writer can work his way through and turn it into something worth reading.

    Well, it sounds like a great idea, and if you do start something within the lines of nanowrimo, you can definitely count me in. A blog sounds good, though I am really short on ideas when it comes to drawing traffic for it.

    There are couple of writers on my blog and I will be more than happy to drop the word...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lev.
    I get you about the time factor...I think nanowrimo is fantastic though, even if you can't manage the 50,000 words in a month. The reason being that it keeps you moving. Even if you manage 10,000, it is the effort, I think.
    Well, lets keep the poll in the side bar going and this post available for a few days and see how many people would like to join in.
    (By the way...don't forget that you can outline your story and characters now, before November, which will help you to create a story that makes sense).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, absolutely, one thing nanowrimo would do is keep the writer on his toes, as lack of deadlines is often a writer's worst enemy in his/her artistic ambitions.

    I am thinking of going with Wetlands as my story for nanowrimo, think it is a good idea?

    I do have around 15000 words written already and and should be nearing or crossing 50,000 come this November(sounds like cheating I guess)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...This does sound s bit like cheating, but what you could do is take what you have already written, use it to redefine your characters and rewrite/write a succinct outline and then when Nov. 1st rolls around you could simply start from scratch. It wouldn't technically be cheating, and you'd know where to go with the story.
    I think that Wetlands, the concept and story is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete