Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Influences

What influences your writing?
Probably more than you know.
I think that I mentioned Christopher Paolini before, so I will use him again as an example. He self published Eragon when he was something like fifteen years old. And while his writing and concepts were superb for someone of his age (any age), you could tell what his immediate influences were. LOTR, for sure, maybe the Narnia series, and lots of stuff about times long ago, dragons and... You get my point.
It was recently brought to my attention, by an observant loved one, that a most recent character of mine had some very Riddick (as in the Chronicles of Riddick) qualities. He was, of course, correct. While writing on my laptop, I often create a split screen. Movie on one side, Windows Word on the other, ear buds on my ears. I type away and listen to/watch movies that help to mentally set the mood for my writing. I happen to like Riddick, that sort of dark, cast off, we've messed up so bad that we had to start over feel. The honor of bold fearlessness, of being willing do what seems bad to expose the last bit of good vibe.
Enough of the homage to Riddick. All I really mean to say is that unwittingly, some of Riddick filtered through the ear buds and into my brain. Very subconscious, but undeniable.
Have you had similar experiences?
What has influenced your writing?

2 comments:

  1. The split screen method sounds interesting, may be I should try something like this while writing about Wetlands.

    Speaking of my experience regarding influence, its so hard to decipher what actually prompts one to weave one particular character or a story, becoz it all takes place so subconsciously that it mostly remains obscure to the conscious mind.

    Since my school days, I grew up reading writers like Stephen King, Poe, Dostoevsky etc, may be their work had an influence on my writing, I am sure it has,

    I am also a great admirer of Victor Hugo and I consider "Hunchback" and "Les Miserable", probably two of THE best books I have ever read, with Les Miserable being the number one of course,

    I do have a tendency to be sardonic about things, and even the characters I write about, I want them to be human enough, but not entirely, I try to come up with little imperfections, either physical or otherwise, or a streak of weird, anything to differentiate them from a stereotype homo-sapien.I find it absolutely fascinating,


    Well, chris paolini, I have heard a lot abt him, but havent read any of his books, becoz I have never been that much into fanstasy genre (With the exception of LOTR of course), but from the sound of him, I think I would give him a try, probably start with eragon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leviathan
    I enjoy King and Poe as well, although haven't tackled Dostoevsky. I hate to admit, but I have so little time (working and family) to read that I do most of it via mp3 player while driving or exercising or on lunch breaks. Have to get it any way that I can.
    Yes, you should try out a little Paolini. I a not much of a fantasy person either but read it because I wanted to find out what all the fanfare was about. When I learned he was only fifteen when he wrote Eragon, I HAD to read. What I have found most interesting is how with each book in his series, you can actually see how he gets a little better. If/When you do read, let me know what you think?

    ReplyDelete